Excelsior misses out on the chance to sign Aymen Sliti on loan. Feyenoord has refused to allow the temporary transfer of the talented left-footed player, as technical director Mark Ruijl explains in De Excelsior Podcast. Excelsior currently sits 15th in the Eredivisie with 0 points after scoring 0 goals and conceding 0.

What happened?

Excelsior had been interested in the 22-year-old Sliti, who has a past with Feyenoord. Ruijl confirms that the club had been closely monitoring the player, but the transfer is now off. "Feyenoord has indicated that it will be a difficult situation. That is their right," says Ruijl. He speculates that the arrival of coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst and his sporting plans may play a role.

What does this mean for Excelsior?

Excelsior had hoped to strengthen its attacking line, but will now have to move on without Sliti. Ruijl emphasizes that the club did manage to sign another Feyenoord player: Jan Plug. The defender will join on loan for the coming season. "Plug has very specific qualities, especially with the ball. That's exactly what we were looking for," says Ruijl.

What's next?

Excelsior will now have to look for other options without Sliti. The club will play away against Utrecht on January 31, 2027, with Utrecht currently 11th in the Eredivisie. Excelsior will aim to secure its first points of the season.